Sew Powerful Volunteer Job Description
Show Manager, Pacific International Quilt Show, Santa Clara
Classification: All jobs for Sew Powerful are volunteers
Reports To: VP, Events and Volunteers – Sue Kirby
This position is designed for a passionate volunteer to be the Manager of the Pacific International Quilt Show in Santa Clara. The volunteer would partner with Sew Powerful management to recruit volunteers for staffing the booth and is also responsible for all activities in the booth.
The objective of participating in Quilt Shows is to recruit seamstresses to make the Sew Powerful Purse and donate them back to be used to keep girls in school in Zambia. Recruiting seamstresses is a critical part of our ministry and the volunteer must understand our purpose and our process for serving these children.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Once Sew Powerful has been accepted as a vendor at the show, the Show Manager is responsible for the following…
- Booth set up - ensure all the necessary items are available and ready to be set up in the booth by the start of the show. Ensure adequate volunteers are available for set up. Compliance with Convention Center Exhibitor Guidelines is the responsibility of the Show Manager.
- Booth staffing - preparing the booth schedule and confirming with each volunteer that the schedule will work for them. Sew Powerful will help to recruit booth volunteers thru the weekly newsletter and other advertising.
- A pre-show conference call is normally required to answer questions and confirm the staffing schedule
- Training for volunteers must be done hands on with one experienced person working with a new volunteer for their first shift.
- Daily the manager will ensure the booth is appropriately staffed and cover any open shifts with volunteers.
- Financial Donations – at the show, we will take donations in cash and via a card reader for purse kits, printed patterns, and the sew powerful books. We may also have logo merchandise. The Show Manager is responsible to secure the funds and to send the donations to the Sew Powerful headquarters per our Financial Policy.
- Donor Dinner - for each show we like to invite all the booth staff and other interested donors for a dinner to meet and enjoy learning from each other. The Show Manager will be responsible for securing the venue and making sure the invitation is sent.
- Booth Tear Down: The Show Manager will responsible for taking down the booth, storing or shipping any items as required to keep the booth moving to the next show. Purses collected at the show will be shipped to the home office.
- Good interpersonal skills – must be able to manage all types of volunteers with grace and dignity. Must be comfortable talking to others about Sew Powerful.
- Project Management – must be able to plan, organize, and execute the many details required to successfully exhibit for Sew Powerful at a major show.
- Service mindset – must embrace Sew Powerful as a ministry that serves impoverished children in Africa and be willing to ask others for help in this ministry.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities. Will supervise volunteers on a temporary basis for specific events.
This job operates at professional Quilt Shows or similar events. They are normally held in major cities and convention facilities. Work is done inside. Smaller events such as fairs or farmers markets may be held outside in the weather.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the volunteer will be required to talk or hear. The volunteer frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The volunteer may be asked to lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 30 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a volunteer position. Days and hours of work are determined by the volunteer, in coordination with Sew Powerful leadership, and will fluctuate based on the activities in which they are involved. Evening and weekend work frequently may be required as volunteer duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be necessary for certain volunteer activities. All travel expenses are covered by the volunteer as a donation to Sew Powerful.
Required Education and Experience
No previous experience is required. Experience organizing events such as trade shows is helpful or retail experience serving customers and handling monies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the volunteer for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.